By Admin - September 28, 2017 12:01 am 0 901 0
Millions of iPhone and Android users turn to WhatsApp as their go-to messaging app, and it's easy to see why. The app comes standard with tons of great features for messaging, calling, and browsing, and that's not even mentioning the fact that it has a larger user base than any other messenger service out there.
One of WhatsApp's many awesome features is the fact that you can format text while you're messaging. This helps you emphasize certain words or phrases by making them italic or bold, and it'll even let you cross out words. It's another one of those nice touches that aren't available in most other messaging apps.
The feature is available for both iOS and Android devices, but there are some differences between the two, so we detailed the process of formatting text in WhatsApp on both operating systems. So if you'd like to learn more about how to add more oomph to your texts to grab your recipient's attention, we've got you covered.
Using Bold, Italics, monospace & Strikethrough (Android or iOS)
For both Android and iOS devices, WhatsApp lets you format your messages with italics, bold, strikethrough and monospace text just by typing special characters before and after the text in your message. Here's how it's done:
- To italicize your message, place an underscore on both sides of the text, like so: _italic_
- To bold your message, place an asterisk on both sides of the text, like so: *bold*
- To strikethrough your message, place a tilde on both sides of the text, like so: ~strikethrough~
- To monospace your message, place three backticks on both sides of the text, like so: ```monospace```
- You can combine any of these options together simply by adding the relevant symbols to either side of the word or phrase
WhatsApp for iOS doesn't display text formatting as you type, but messages show up in their formatted state when they're sent. Android users will get a live preview of the formatted text as they type, which makes it a little easier to see which format is most appropriate.